I
pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order
that you may know the hope to which God has called you, the riches of
the glorious inheritance in the saints.
Humans
are born with two eyes, one of the five senses that allow us to know
the reality of what is around us. But our eyes do not see the
spiritual realities, except those that are evident through physical,
visible realities. We don’t see trust or hope, but we can see
evidence of joy. This is why Paul speaks of the “eyes of the
heart.” It is the heart that becomes aware of the intangible
spiritual realities like faith, hope and love.
I
know several people who have been deprived of physical sight either
at birth or through accidents. They do not witness the beauty of a
sunset or the colors of flowers. Yet they have a spiritual
sensitivity and an awareness that few people with physical sight
have. Physical blindness is serious, but spiritual blindness is a
deadly, eternal problem. It is an ultimate tragedy for a human to
lack spiritual awareness of blessings of faith and hope and love.
God
is gracious to provide the human creatures with numerous physical
blessings and material abundance, but God has also made available the
gifts of spiritual blessings. Humans need to cultivate a sensitivity
to the heavenly blessings that abound in the physical world.
God
of grace and blessings, open the eyes of our heart that we may see
the gifts that lay beyond our physical sight.
So often instead of focusing on my blessings, I allow the worries of this life to overcome me. I need to heed your advice and cultivate a sensitivity to the many blessings I've been blessed with.
ReplyDeleteI pray I never become spiritually blind. My sister has been blind since the age of 21 from domestic violence. Love to you!
ReplyDelete