January 20, 2019
A BATTLE OF WILLS
For a
long time in my spiritual niaveity I often wondered if God had not
possibly made a mistake in His creation process, that being bestowing
on each human a free will. That is the one piece of me that gets me
into more trouble than anything else, because it gives us
individually the power to over-ride God's will. When this happens it
is never pretty.
Free
will given to each of us is vitally important to God. God wants our
love but if it were created intrinsically as part of our DNA it would
not have value. It would spring from His Own Will and not freely be
a choice on our part.
Let
me pose a possible scenario. Suppose God's Will is for me to attend
a bible study and the Holy Spirit is prompting me to go but my free
will wants to go to the bar and party with my friends. What I have
gained from expressing my own free will and ignoring the promptings
of God's will is a massive day long migraine hangover with feelings
of shame for some of my behavior and fear of what I might have done
that I can't remember. Had I gone to the bible study I would wake
with a “spiritual hangover” laced with a multitude of blessings.
I
realize that the example I've brought forth is extreme but the
principle is simply that when we choose our own path rather than
following God's intended plan for us, negative outcomes can plague us
and we can lose touch with the power to keep our lives on track. It
is important to watch for red flags when we are weighing our choices.
If the activity we are contemplating requires any level of
secretiveness to it, the choice is clearly wrong. Paul points out
that negative behavior is most often done in the dark so that it
isn't visible to others.
Most
of our plans coincide quite well with God's Will such as spending the
day at the lake with family or spending a weekend helping an elderly
neighbor with yard or housework. The most important thing to watch
for is red flags that twist in our conscience or still, small voices
that whisper, “Are you sure you want to do this?”
Listen
for God's Holy Spirit to help you make choices – your will or God's
Will? Trust me when I say a spiritual hangover with a multitude of
blessings is so much better than a day of migraines, fear and shame.
Jerry, I have been there with the shame and hangover. I pray I choose good over bad more often than not. Love to you my brother!
ReplyDeleteExcellent JERRY
ReplyDelete