So,
if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall.
(1 Corinthians 10:12)
Driving
to a meeting on a December day, I found myself clutching the steering
wheel, trying to bring my skidding car under control. Impulsively
braking, I threw the car into a spin. I avoided injury and damage,
but my car was stranded in the ditch. I had encountered black ice.
Black
ice is dangerous because we approach it unsuspectingly. Unlike the
glaring, silvery ice that warns us to slow down and be cautious,
black ice looks like only wet pavement.
Sometimes
temptation is like black ice. We may find ourselves in what looks
like a harmless situation, suddenly spinning out of control. When we
are unprepared, these temptations can strand us, throw us off course,
and even destroy us. We walk carefully around the obvious
temptations because we know their danger. We are more likely to slip
on small temptations like skipping our prayer time or Bible study.
When our fellowship with God is weak, we risk losing traction and
skidding into a spiritual ditch. But when we remain alert to God
through continual fellowship, we walk on safe ground.
Most
Holy God, help us a we maneuver through this world to be alert to the
“black ice” that surrounds us in temptations! Keep us on a safe
path!
No comments:
Post a Comment