Call
unto me and I will answer you and show you great and might things
which you do not know (Jeremiah 33:3)
Going
one-on-one with God is not something that should be taken lightly.
In an hour of confrontation, the most important thing to remember is
that God is to be trusted.
Jacob
went one-on-one with God when he wrestled all night and cried, “I
won’t let go until you bless me.” Moses went one-on-one with God
when he pleaded on behalf of the people he was leading. Abraham went
one-on-one with God in negotiating the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Going
one-on-one with God is not like a situation of a soldier in a foxhole
who prays, “God, if you spare my life, I promise I’ll go to
church every Sunday.” God will not bargain no matter how much you
weigh the favor in your own odds.
When
going one-on-one with God, as examples show in the scriptures, there
are a few things to remember:
- Come to God in simplicity and child-like innocence, asking for God’s mercy. The bible states that, sooner or later, every knee shall bend.
- Stand on what you know of God from the promises of scripture. You can ask for a new stereo, but God is probably more interested in giving you a new outlook on life and self.
- Remember that going one-on-one with God is a “Gethsemane” experience. Jesus was on his knees and pleading with God. How can we approach God with requests other than the way Jesus taught? Arrogance will get us no-where.
- God
is willing and ready to listen to every heart that comes forward with
needs and pleading. Remember that your CD player and new sports car
are not needs. God will meet your real needs and God can be
approached one-on-one.
God
of mercy, hear my pleadings. If I am asking for the wrong things,
please interpret them into what is right!
I hear you brother! Humility please! Love to you!
ReplyDelete