For
God so loved the world that God sent the only Son, Jesus Christ, that
whosoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting
life. (John 3:16)
Charles
Colson writes the following:
As
one who has served time in prison and has since spent most of his
life working in them, I’ll never forget the most unusual prison
I’ve ever visited.
Called
Humaita Prison, it is in Sao Jose dos Campos in Brazil. Formerly a
government prison, it is now operated by Prison Fellowship Brazil as
an alternative prison, without armed guards or high-tech security.
Instead, it is run on the Christian principles of love of God and
respect for humanity.
Humaita
has only two full-time staff; the rest of the work is done by the 730
inmates serving time for everything from murder and assault to
robbery and drug-related crimes. Every man is assigned another
inmate to whom he is accountable. In addition, each prisoner is
assigned a volunteer mentor from the outside who works with him
during his term and after his release. Prisoners take classes on
character development and are encouraged to participate in
educational and religious programs.
When
I visited this prison, I found the inmates smiling—particularly the
murderer who held the keys, opened the gates and let me in. Wherever
I walked, I saw men at peace. I saw clean living areas. I saw
people working industriously. The walls were decorated with
motivational sayings and scriptures references.
Humaita
has an astonishing record. Its recidivism rate is 4 percent,
compared to 75 percent in the rest of Brazil. How is that possible?
I saw
the answer when my inmate guide escorted me to the notorious cell
once used for solitary confinement. Today, he told me, it always
houses the same inmate. As we reached the end of the long concrete
corridor, and he put the key in the lock, he paused and asked, “Are
you sure you want to go in?”
“Of
course,” I replied impatiently. “I’ve been in isolation cells
all over the world.” Slowly he swung open the massive door, and I
saw the prisoner in that cell: a crucifix, beautifully carved—Jesus,
hanging on the cross.
“He’s
doing time for the rest of us,” my guide said softly.
God
of mercy, how can anyone ever repay the debt that Your Son paid for
all of us. My we stand in awe of such a tremendous sacrifice!
Oh Jerry, what a moving devotional on the power of love instead of hate. I know from experience with my brothers that our prisons are not helpful. Love to you!
ReplyDelete