There
is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear
involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in
love. (1 John 4: 18)
A man
had just buried his wife. His little daughter had lost her mother.
Their hearts seemed to be breaking, and loneliness engulfed them as
they came home to an empty house. At bedtime the father placed the
little girl’s bed near his own. Then he turned out the light and
lay down. After a while, through the darkness, came the little
girl’s voice, “Daddy, are you there?”
And
he answered, “Yes, Dear, I’m here. Now you go to sleep.”
After
a period of silence, the little voice came again, “Daddy, are you
still there?”
Once
again he answered patiently, “Yes, Dear, I’m still here. Now go
to sleep.”
After
a long period of silence her voice came again, this time more
confident, “Daddy, I can’t see you, but I know you’re there.”
Social
pressures, abandonment of friends or family, misunderstanding and
irrational fears - we live in a world where many strange gods compete
for our loyalty. But even when we are trapped by our own fears or
the fears of others, let us never forget the abiding love and
security we can find in our Creator, even when we can’t see God.
Holy
Parent, you are always there, even though we cannot see you. Hold
our hand in the midst of our dark moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment