...If
you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all.
(Isaiah 7:9)
A
legend has it that a just and good man went to Sodom one day, hoping
to save the city from God’s impending judgment. He tried talking
to first one individual and then another and another, but nobody
would engage in conversation with him.
Next,
he tried carrying a picket sign that had “Repent” written on it
in large letters. Nobody paid the least attention to him except for
a casual glance here and there at the sign he carried.
Finally
he began going from street to street and from marketplace to
marketplace, shouting loudly, “Men and women, repent! What you are
doing is wrong. It will kill you! It will destroy you!”
The
people laughed at him, but still he went about shouting. One day, a
person stopped him and said, “Stranger, can’t you see that your
shouting is useless?” The man replied, “Yes, I see that!” The
person then asked, “Well, then why do you continue?”
The
man answered, “When I arrived in this city, I was convinced I could
change them. Now I continue shouting because I don’t want them to
change me!”
Speak
out for those things you believe to be true and good. If you remain
silent, others may take your silence as agreement with their
position–which may not be at all what you believe.
Holy
Creator, may our voices be heard above the noise of today’s world.
May our message be heard in our own hearts!
No comments:
Post a Comment