Jerry Browning

Sunday, March 31, 2019


This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me. (I Corinthians 11:24)

Simply by my own human nature, there is no way I could be found worthy to be present at the communion table of Christ. Often, when we are reading the Bible with someone and we get a few verses past the ones for today’s reading, we will hear something like, “Boy, that’s a tough requirement.” And certainly we can understand. Not one of us has ever gone through what Jesus went through to gain some concept of worthiness.

But what makes us worthy to be in God’s presence? It is the adoption into the reality of being children of God. It’s almost like God being approached by Jesus, who asks the Parent, “Look what I found. Can I keep them?” And God, in infinite wisdom answers, “If you clean them up, you can keep them.”

The cleaning up process happened on Calvary. Jesus paid a price to bring each person into the “Family of God.” We are adopted daughters and sons, heirs to the kingdom, simply because of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. We were brought into worthiness through Jesus’ death. That is the sole purpose of Christ becoming human. As Mozart said in his musical piece, “Remember, Jesus, I am the reason for your journey.”

God of love and forgiveness, thank You for adopting me into Your family. I pray that Your leading will keep me worthy of that position!

No comments:

Post a Comment