Jerry Browning

Tuesday, April 2, 2019


Has not God chosen the poor in the world to be rich in faith and to be heirs of the kingdom that he has promised to those who love Him? (James 2:3)

Not long ago I solved a word puzzle in the local newspaper that turned out to read, “A weed is any plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.” I pondered this truth as I glanced out my window at the lawns in the neighborhood. We ruthlessly yank out what we consider to be weeds from among the plants we choose to call flowers. It also occurred to me that we can do the same thing with people. It is extremely easy for us to label others around us as being “weeds” and having no particular attributes simply because we do not understand them or approve of them.

I have often walked past homeless people asking for money with thoughts in my head like, They’ll just spend it on booze, or, I work hard for my money. Why don’t they find a job?” Without knowing anything about their background, their troubles or stresses, I choose to label them as “weeds” among society, totally lacking in virtue and possible prepared to bring harm on the “useful” plants like myself.

We should all be grateful that God does not respond to us in the same manner. In God’s eyes, all the undiscovered virtues are there in each person. The Creator is constantly at work, forming and teaching to bring each “flower” into bloom, always seeing virtues that are hidden from humanity. That homeless person is most probably closer to blooming in God’s garden than I am in the midst of my judgment and blindness.

Holy Creator, help us each to see the beauty of Your garden of Life!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the wise words. In God's eye, we all have the potential of blooming into beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete