I
have glorified You on earth; I have finished the work that You gave
me to do. (John 17:4)
The
order from the head teacher was abrupt. “The classroom needs
sweeping. Take the broom and sweep it!”
Young
Booker T. Washington knew that this was his chance. He swept the
room three times, and then dusted the furniture four times. When the
head teacher came back to evaluate his work, she inspected the floor
closely and then used her handkerchief to rub the woodwork around the
walls, the table, and the student’s benches. When she could find
not even a speck of dust anywhere in the room, she said quietly, “I
guess you will do to enter our institution.”
Cleaning
a classroom was nothing less than Booker T. Washington’s entrance
exam to Hampton Institute in Virginia. In later years, he would
recall this as the turning point in his life. He wrote in his
autobiography, Up
From Slavery,
“I have passed several examinations since then, but I have always
felt that this was the best one I ever passed.”
Slacking
off, goofing off, and dozing off rarely opens doors of opportunity.
Those doors are opened best by a consistently excellent effort on our
part. Give the world your best, an effort of the same caliber today!
Gracious
Creator, grant us the strength and integrity to do our best in all
things that we undertake!
No comments:
Post a Comment