Not
that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever
state I am, therewith to be content. (Philippians 4:11)
The
story is told of a farmer who had lived on the same farm all his
life. It was a good farm with fertile soil, but with the passing of
years, the farmer began to think, ‘ Maybe
there’s something better for me.’
He set out to find an even better plot of land on which to farm.
Every
day he found a new reason for criticizing some feature of his old
farm. Finally, he decided to sell. He listed the farm with a real
estate broker who promptly prepared an advertisement emphasizing all
the many advantages of the acreage: ideal location, modern equipment,
healthy stock, acres of fertile ground, high yields on crops,
well-kept barns and pens, nice two story house on a hill above the
pasture.
When
the real estate agent called to read the ad to the farmer for his
approval prior to placing it in the newspaper, the farmer heard him
out. When he had finished, he cried, “Hold everything! I’ve
changed my mind. I’m not going to sell. Why, I’ve been looking
for a place just like this one all my life.”
When
one starts identifying the good traits of any person, situation or
organization, one is likely to find that they far outweigh the bad.
We each need to focus on what we have. What we don’t have is most
probably insignificant.
God
of love and goodness, may we appreciate all that You have given us in
this life. You know best what each of us needs and wants!
No comments:
Post a Comment