Jerry Browning

Sunday, May 5, 2019


Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. (Psalm 51:2)

Many mountain trails wind through the forest near our house. The trees, the creatures, the ravines with their multi-shaped rock formations–some like ancient, gray dinosaurs–all speak to me. A stream tumbles down through the valley and across my favorite trail. Before I reach it, the stream sings to me in the distance. I stepped across it recently and dislodged several large stones that came crashing down into it, muddying its crystal clear water. I felt sad that I had disturbed the beauty of the stream. But then I watched as fresh, clean water from somewhere up the mountain washed the muddy water away until the stream was once again clear as it had been before.

I realized that often my life is like that stream. I can really muddy things up with my choices and behavior sometimes. I also realized anew that the God Who cleansed that muddy mountain stream would also cleanse me.

That day I found myself kneeling by the stream, praying a prayer of confession and seeking forgiveness. And it was as if those actions opened up the cleansing waters of God’s grace, which flowed into my soul clearing out all that was unclean and disturbing to the clearness of my inner self.

God of mercy, help us this day to open our hearts to the never-ceasing flow of Your cleansing grace and forgiveness!

1 comment:

  1. I liked the visual of the stream! Love to you my brother!😊💓😊

    ReplyDelete