Jerry Browning

Thursday, June 6, 2019


I am the light of the world: whoever follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have everlasting light. (John 8: 12)

The last thing I want to do is to try driving in a blizzard on unfamiliar roads, but that is where I found myself one February night headed north from Salt Lake City. If there had been a place to stop and stay the night, we would have taken advantage of it, but with conventions and other activities, the only choice seemed to be to continue driving.

We crept along slowly straining to see the guardrails and signs of where the road might be. After some time, the yellow fog lights of an eighteen-wheeler appeared in the distance before us. His rig was well-lighted front and rear and I approached him from the rear and settle in behind him.

What a relief it was to find a “leader” on a dark and stormy night. Before too long I noticed that if we began to lag behind a bit, he would slow down for us. That kind of courtesy really helped in a sticky situation.

The same is true of our “dark nights” and trying times in our earthly walk. Jesus is the light of the world and if we just keep our eyes on Him, we will not wander off the “safe road.” Jesus knows the way and shows us the way, but especially with His “bright” example, we can safely maneuver the roads of this life until we come into the safety and comfort of the home we were prepared for.

God of wisdom, guide our walk through life by shedding the Light of the World on the paths we need to walk!


No comments:

Post a Comment