Jerry Browning

Saturday, July 13, 2019


God satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness. (Psalm 107:9)

Within each person lies a void that only God can fill. As a child, I believed that being rich guaranteed a happy, problem-free life. Growing up in poverty, I deeply desired the material wealth that seemed to make others happy. At twelve years old, I got my first job helping out at our landlord’s upholstery shop. I was elated at being able to purchase my clothes for school with my own hard-earned money. A feeling of pride and self-sufficiency swelled in me, and acquiring money and possessions became the focus of my life.

As I grew older, I was never content. Nothing I acquired filled the void. I grew miserable pursuing more than I was able to obtain. Finally I gave up pursuing riches, and I wanted to give up on my life. In desperation and depression I began to seek God with my heart, soul and mind. In the words of the Bible, I found the riches that satisfied the hunger I had carried for so long.

Now I understand why the spiritually grounded folks around me sang songs and praised God and were always content with so little.

Gentle Creator, may I always welcome the gifts You give, the ones that are so great yet the world thinks are so little!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing the wisdom God has blessed you with.

    ReplyDelete