Then
the word of the Lord came to Elijah, saying, “Go now to Zarephath,
which belongs to Sidon, and live there, for I have commanded a widow
to feed you.” (1 Kings 17:8-9)
Giving
is easy when we have abundance. When we have plenty of money, time,
energy or material possessions, it is easier to give by “taking it
off the top” than it is by sacrificing. Why do I need to trust God
when I have plenty left over that can be shared with others?
The
widow of Zarephath was faced with an entirely different situation.
Elijah was asking for her last meal, which she planned to eat with
her son before they both died of starvation. But Elijah assured her
that God would provide for her if she would give up her last meal.
She was called to trust that it would turn out for the best. She did
trust–and as a result, God did provide.
It
is difficult to give when we are needy, tired, or under stress. But
God is still our provider, even when it seems illogical to give. It
did not make sense for this starving widow to give up her last meal.
But she chose to trust God rather than human logic.
God
loves us and will not leave us without what we need. When we hear
God’s call to us, we need only to trust and to obey with confidence
that God will always provide.
Forgive
me, Holy Savior, when I back away in doubt and fail to help others.
Teach me that You care enough to always provide my needs, even when I
am unable to see a solution through my own logic!
No comments:
Post a Comment