He
who ignores discipline despises himself, but whosoever heeds
correction gains understanding. (Proverbs 15:32)
An
officer in the navy had dreamed from childhood of commanding a great
battleship one day. He finally achieved his dream and was given
commission of the newest and proudest ship in the fleet.
One
stormy night, the captain was on duty on the bridge when he spotted a
strange light rapidly closing in on his own vessel. As his ship
plowed through the giant waves, the light rose and fell just above
the horizon of the sea. He ordered his signalman to flash a message
to the unidentified craft on his port side. “Alter your course ten
degrees to the south.”
Within
seconds a reply came back, “Alter your course ten degrees to the
north.” Determined that his ship would never take a back seat to
another vessel, the captain snapped second order. “Alter your
course ten degrees–I am the CAPTAIN!!!” The response beamed
back, “Alter your course ten degrees–I am Seaman Third Class
Smith.” By this time the light was growing brighter and larger.
Infuriated,
the captain grabbed the signal light and personally signaled, “Alter
course, I am a battleship.” The response came quickly, “Alter
your course-I am a lighthouse.”
There
are times when standing on principle can compromise our own security
and well-being. Perhaps it is best if we allow God to be our
“lighthouse” instead of relying on our own demands. God knows
the best route for us in all things.
Holy
Creator and Guide, lead us in the ways that will be most beneficial
for us. May our own egos be put in place. You have a better plan!
I had read this story before and chuckled! I know I have been the captain before.😃
ReplyDelete